Latest News and Meetings
Results of the survey on private and international schools | Résultats de l'enquête sur les écoles privées et internationales
- Published on Thursday, 02 February 2017 16:20
We are pleased to share with you the results of the survey on private and international schools in Geneva.
You may find here a summary table of the results for schools for which there were more than five children reported.
You can also view:
- comparison tables between schools,
- overall comments sorted by school (very interesting),
- summary profiles by school (see attachments below), and
- raw survey data.
In response to your request, we will be meeting with the Geneva Association of Private Schools and individually with schools to discuss the results and explore how your concerns can be better accomodated. This includes verifying how different items are billed.
Townhall on addressing changes to education grant, administrative offshoring and P and D compensation | Réunion générale sur les changements de l'indemnité pour études, la délocalisation administrative et la rémunération des fonctionnaires de catégorie P
- Published on Monday, 30 January 2017 18:10
We would like to present and discuss the following topics with you, at a townhall tomorrow:
- The results of the survey on the education grant, school comparison tables and way forward to relieve the burden of the changes.
- Steps to address plans to offshore administration and how you can help.
- Changes to P and D compensation and how you can challenge their negative effects.
The townhall will follow a General Assembly (agenda here) on Tuesday 31 January at 1.30 p.m. in Room XVII.
Please find herewith, for your information, our annual report.
We look forward to welcoming you tomorrow.
Positive developments for staff at the General Assembly | Avancées positives au sein de l'Assemblée générale
- Published on Friday, 27 January 2017 18:08
Following our message last week on the pension fund, we would like you to update you on additional developments at the General Assembly. In the lead up to the General Assembly decisions we held extensive meetings with delegates in New York and made formal statements at the assembly itself.
- Rejected the Secretary-General’s proposal to raise the earnings limit for retired staff members in receipt of pension benefits from $22,000 to 125 working days of the last salary. We had argued this would undermine good workforce planning and opportunities for current staff.
The UN has a new and improved whistleblower policy | L'ONU adopte une nouvelle politique renforcée pour la protection des dénonciateurs d'abus
- Published on Friday, 27 January 2017 18:01
We are pleased to inform you that we have reached agreement with Secretary-General Guterres on a new and significantly improved whistleblower protection policy. Details of the changes are described below.
For staff unions this is a huge improvement. Colleagues who step forward to report wrongdoing or fraud will now be better protected. And importantly, if they don't get protection they can now go to the tribunal to appeal it.
We've been pushing for these changes for almost three years, particularly in light of recent scandals. However, it was through constructive dialogue with Secretary-General Guterres that we were able to finally reach agreement. Some additional improvements, also described below, remain to be made, and we look forward to working with Guterres to complete them.
The new policy makes the UN less likely to be liable to a US law that mandates the withholding of 15 percent of American contributions to international organizations with deficient whistleblower protection, which is also good news for staff.
All you need to know about French taxes before you retire | Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur la fiscalité française avant votre départ à la retraite
- Published on Thursday, 26 January 2017 09:36
Many of you choose to retire in France when you leave the UN, for personal or other reasons.
This choice has important tax implications of which you should be aware well before you retire so that you can plan appropriately.
This is why we invite you to a staff meeting next Thursday 26 January, from 1.15 to 2.45 p.m. in Room XXV.
The meeting will cover French tax matters and their impact on international civil servants.
Presenting will be Ms. Martine Thévenot (manager of MathecSolutions) and Mr. Serge Agarrat (international tax lawyer and Partner at MathecSolutions).
We look forward to your questions and making sure you leave with the right answers.
You may find the recording of the meeting HERE (date 26/01/17).
- Our view on the Ethics Office email on participating in marches | Notre avis sur le courriel envoyé par le Bureau de la déontologie concernant la participation aux manifestations
- Demonstration in solidarity with staff at WIPO | Manifestation en solidarité avec les fonctionnaires de l'OMPI
- Staff council annual report - a busy year defending your rights | Rapport du Conseil de coordination - une année active pour la défense de vos droits
- Based on our arguments, the General Assembly paused plans to offshore administration | Nos arguments ont poussé l’Assemblée générale à freiner le projet de délocalisation administrative
- Come watch the UN Theatre Club's improvisation show, 18 January at 8.00 p.m. | Venez assister au spectacle du Club de théâtre de l'ONU, le 18 Janvier à 20 heures
- Staff meeting to know your rights in case of downsizing, restructuring or other workplace issues
- Chinese Book Club Exhibition / Message du Conseil de coordination du personnel : Exposition organisée par le Club du livre chinois
- Staff meeting this Thursday to know your rights in case of downsizing, restructuring or other workplace issues / Réunion du personnel ce jeudi pour connaître vos droits en cas de réduction des effectifs, de restructuration ou autres questions sur le lieu
- António Guterres' first meeting as Secretary-General was with staff unions – here’s what happened | Comment s'est passée la première réunion d'António Guterres avec les syndicats du personnel?
- Percussion classes at the Palais / Message du Conseil de coordination : Stage de percussions au Palais
- 7th meeting of the 34th Staff C. Council
- Good news as General Assembly puts stop to removal of Pension Fund from UN | Bonnes nouvelles à un moment où l'Assemblée générale bloque la sortie de la Caisse de l'ONU
- Christmas Concert by the UN Music Club | Concert de Noël du Club de musique de l'ONU
- Minute of silence for Syria | Minute de silence pour la Syrie
- Are private/international schools in Geneva value for money? Please tell us | RAPPEL : Fréquenter une école privée/internationale à Genève, est-il un bon investissement ? Votre avis nous intéresse
- Official holidays in 2017 have changed, here's why | Les jours fériés en 2017 ont changé, voilà pourquoi
- Townhall on the new education grant | Réunion générale du personnel sur l'indemnité pour frais d'études
- Keep 9 December free for the staff party | Réservez le 9 décembre pour la fête du personnel
- Education grant simulations
- We spoke up for you at the pension fund townhall - here is what happened next